Columbus Printed Arts Center is looking for creative, highly motivated, and enthusiastic Studio Assistants to join our team this fall. The ideal candidates believe that the arts are a vital component of a thriving community, are invested in contributing to the organization’s growth, and have unique ideas to bring to the position. Our goal is to connect with artists and art professionals in Central Ohio as well as to provide meaningful work experience and insight into the inner workings of an art organization.
The Studio Assistants will provide studio, promotional, and administrative support by assisting in all aspects of Columbus Printed Arts Centers’ studio, curatorial, outreach, and education programs. Working collaboratively with the Director, they will gain an understanding of how an arts organization functions as they develop programmatic content and marketing strategies that address the needs of the community, creatively engage new and existing audiences, and fulfill the organizational mission.
Responsibilities will likely include but may not be limited to: assisting with in-house print production, development and management of promotional campaigns, audience research, communicating with artists and community partners, management of membership mailings, social and marketing content/copy creation and editing, special event promotion and assistance, public relations support, community engagement events, social media and more.
• Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience in Visual Arts, Art History, Arts Administration, Art Education, Curatorial Studies, Community Outreach, Graphic Design, or relevant field.
• Strong interest in visual art and a passion for contributing to the growth of a new art organization
• Desire to learn new skills and grow as an individual through accomplishing challenging tasks
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills; professional approach to external and interpersonal relationships; outstanding storyteller capable of speaking to a diverse audience in different ways
• Attention to detail; extremely organized; willingness to take agency over project components
• Enthusiastic self-starter able to work both independently and collaboratively; strong ability to problem-solve, think strategically, and manage multiple tasks at once
• Strong research skills; capable of applying various successful institutional models to specific campaigns to reach both broad and targeted audiences
• Flexible with the ability to work on multiple tasks at once and adapt to changing priorities
• Experience working in a artist studio, digital or printmaking lab, gallery, museum, art organization, or alternative space
• Strong understanding of current organizational strategies and willingness to seek new approaches
• Strong design background; skillful in Adobe Creative Suite programs Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere
• Demonstrable interest in printed media and knowledge of artists working in field
Position: 1 unpaid position, available for college credit if needed. Studio Assistants have free and unlimited access to Columbus Printed Arts Center’s studios for the duration of the internship program, receive discounts on ink costs, may sit in on any class or workshop, and are given an Artist Membership for one year after program commencement date.
Dates: October 2019 - February 2020 (flexible)
Hours: A minimum of 12 hours per week preferred. Occasional weekend hours may be required for events.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Include internship title in email subject line and in cover letter. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Deadline to apply for the Fall cycle is August 15, 2019.